Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Doppelganger of Dr. Seuss...

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"~Dr. Seuss

When I was a boy I played with my toys
Some of my toys were toys of boys
Of soldiers and turtles and racing cars, too
If only I’d known what would come when I grew.

When I was a bit older, my shoulders grew bolder
And my bolder shoulders asked girls to come over
I twisted, I turned, but none did I see
Well enough to think “Gee, this one’s for me.”

I tittled and I tattled and I often did battle
With mindless chatter that piddled and prattled
I bibbled and babbled to answer the chatter
But often I said “This is all much too much a-clatter!”

Until the day when she came my way
I was smitten as a kitten, what can I say?
In my clouds and shrouds, she was my ray.
I’d say, “I’m going to marry that girl some day.”

Not her, not I, not none could predict
That I’d become a fix that couldn’t be fixed.
I smiled through my trial though my feelings were mixed
This story I’ll explain, I’ll try to depict.

A fighter I’ve been, ones who know will agree
But fighting this fight was not one I could see
To me it was nothing but a pain while I ate
I strained with the pain that I tried to abate

Black lung, pink lung
One lump, two bumps
My time is come
My time is done
The fruits of old life
Of this I’ll have none

Tested and testing, scanning and scanned
Poking and prodding, appointments I’d planned
Today, tomorrow, two years-one half
Two more? To know, how great would be that?

To sleep, to dream, to sweat, to scream
To wake, to wait, to think, to seem
To be better, to be worse,
Seem to be the same to me

To live, to die, to laugh, to cry
I did not ask, "God, tell me why!"
Life does pass most people by
While they’re busy making plans,
But those plans never fly.

Those plans they die without flight
The flight has to fight with the scary plight
And the scary plight has a very mighty might
Life passes by, the plans never see light

What plans, with scans, can I try and make, sir?
What stake, with haste, can I try and claim, sir?
I do not like black lungs and scans…
I do not like them Sam-I-Am…

I would not like it in my head
I would not like to lie in bed
I do not want it in my gut
I do not want it that would suck
I would not like it in my chest
I would not like it in my neck
I would not like surgeries numbering three
I would not, do not want that for me

However, it seems as though it’s in your head
It seems as though you’ll lie in bed
It seems as though it’s in your gut
It seems as though this will suck
It seems as though it’s in your chest
It seems as though it’s in your neck
It seems as though you’ll have surgery
It seems as though there should be three

One slice, two slice
Three slice, me slice
Beds and heads and chills and pills
Pain and gain, hopes and thrills.

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?”-
Dr. Seuss


This is not the way things should go,
This is not what I’ve been told.
Son goes before mother grows old?
This is not what I’ve been told.

I cannot, I will not let it be so
Though my body be weak and my hair start to go
Let my stomach to my food say “Oh, no
We don’t want you here, you've got to go.”
I'll take the bumps and bruises just to show
I cannot, I will not let it be so.

And I did not I have not let it be so
And now, on head and face, my hair does grow
I go, but slow I go, because I will always know
Today is here, though tomorrow may not show

The Grinch the Lorax, Mr. Knox, and the man
Who would not in them in a box
And would not eat them with a fox
They all learned the lesson to love
Above all, and of all, there is nothing above
While you’re still around, while you still can
Don’t be afraid to try Green Eggs and Ham.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, i found this while searching the internet for poems about cancer and I wanted to ask a question. Can I use the last stanza for my team's slogan at Relay For Life? I am the team captain for the Carolina Association of Pre-Pharmacy Students and the theme we picked was Dr. Seuss movies. I think they last stanza is great and very inspirational. My email is mcmurrde@mailbox.sc.edu if you want to email me your response.