Monday, March 16, 2009

"People used what they called a telephone because they hated being close together and they were scared of being alone." - Chuck Palahniuk

Do you ever feel that when you are talking to someone they are not really listening to you, but really just waiting for their turn to talk? Sometimes they don't even wait politely, right? Those are the people that say "right" or "yeah" after every sentence just waiting for the moment you hesitate too long so they can tell you how what you are telling them is "just like this one time..." I am trying to figure out how it is that some people just always know exactly what you're talking about and, luckily enough, are able to relate it to some story in their own lives. I'll tell you it feels refreshing when someone can relate to what you are going through. At the same time, it's awfully annoying when the person makes it seem as if they are the only ones that have anything interesting to say. Even if they don't believe it, they sure as shit need to pretend a lot better.

Sure it comes from our narcissistic, ego-centric belief that we are the proverbially straw that stirs the drink. Again, we are the star actors in our own lives. It's like a self-help author reading his own book for advice. If you don't want to hear what other people have to say, then talk to the mirror. Although, that might result in You fighting Yourself since neither You nor Yourself would get a chance to talk since the other one will constantly be talking over the other. That's a good way to guarantee split-personality disorder. You will be fighting with Yourself because You won't stop talking over Yourself and You won't be giving Yourself a chance to talk.

People won't even listen to you when they think you're going to die. They really try at that time to convince you of what you should or should not be feeling. I laid in the hospital the night before my brain surgery and had my brother and my future sister-in-law and my parents there. Of course, My Love was there as well. Some close relatives on the low. I told my parents that I just wanted to hang out and stay relaxed. In no time I had a church ceremony taking place in my hospital room. Frankincense and myrrh including in the celebration of "mass." Even a sermon was given in which the participants prayed for a "miracle" hoping that I would come out alive. Goodness, I was nervous, but at least I was confident. Then I hear people praying for the miracle of my survival and I became upset. Pissed off I believe would be the accepted F-ing vernacular. People pretend they want to listen to you when they think you are dying, but really they just want to savor those last few moments to tell you what they really think. I assume they hope to send you up to heaven with their words as your last memory so that you can tell the peoples upstairs how awesome they are.

I don't like to lack faith in people, but sometimes people make it too hard not to lose faith. People don't want to talk to each other. Politicians don't want to listen, they are all a bunch of opportunists. They want the power superstructure to fail so that they have a platform on which to pontificate their equally ridiculous ideals. Many religious individuals don't want to listen, they would rather explain how you and your peers seated around you are spitting in God's face just by enjoying a fine meal or a few glasses of an alcoholic beverage, while they are somehow closer to God because they attended seminary school. It doesn't just float to the top though, even our peers don't want to listen. We all want to be the one to untie the Gordian Knot (or at least be savvy enough to slice through it with our mighty sword Excalibur, thus ascending the throne and running Camelot like a BAMF).

I talk a lot and I sure as shit act like I know what I'm talking about all the time. I hate being wrong. When I am, I will admit it (however begrudgingly it comes). I will also try and see anything from your point of view even if I disagree with it. I really will. No matter how far up my own ass I have to try and put my head. I'm flexible. We don't even really like each other except for the few specials in our lives. Why else would we invent phones to be used between individuals separated by mere rooms. Or the Internet. We would rather text a question than ask it. MensHealth actually had to survey women to see what their reactions are to being asked out through text/e-mail because so many jack-asses seem to be doing it instead of the phone call, which is already distancing in itself.

All I think is deserved is the mutual respect among all of us to shut up and listen when someone else is having a conversation with you. One-on-one we should wait, listen, then thoughtfully respond rather than bite our tongues until it's our turn. Just listen with open ears and an open mind and I promise you will hear new things in old places, and you will gain knowledge where you thought none existed.

1 comment:

Jenn Jilks said...

This is a common story. It is most difficult to listen. I hear what you are saying and this is what we talked about in my palliative care course last week.
http://dadsbraintumour.blogspot.com I wrote my memoir about caring for my father. As a caregiver, it was the same: people told me what to do, what to think, how I should feel. No one asked me.

Excellent post.
All the best...